Fw: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Leaving Volhynia for USA

JSchu9014 at aol.com JSchu9014 at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 17:57:17 PDT 2003

My grandfather, Edward Haupt, left Volhynia shortly before his passport was
to expire.  At that time he was to report to the Russian Military.  He told the
story of having to bribe the boarder guards in order to get into Latvia.  He
worked there a few months,  met and married my grandmother, Margarethe
Elfriede Rathfelder, and then sailed to Canada.  I still have been unable to verify
how he left or from what port.  There is an old story of my grandfather having
won a dance contest while in the port of "Boston" or somewhere on the East
coast, but again we cannot verify this.  I even know the name of the ship, the
Noordam, and the date of arrival of August 29th in the port of Halifax, but
cannot find any record of this ship on this date or anyone with the name of Eduard
Haupt.  His brother Bernard left Volhynia two years later and we found his
records of having stopped at Ellis Island on his way to Canada. Could he have
used a fictitious name?  Was that even possible?  From what we have heard on
this list it is obvious that our ancestors were "very creative" in their ways of
escaping the Russian military.

Janice Schultz
jschu9014 at aol.com