[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Possible genealogically related virus

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Mon Jul 7 08:41:58 PDT 2003

I apologize for using the list to advise about a potential virus but this
one purports to be from a legitimate genealogical organization so I want
you all to be aware.  In addition, my virus checker is NOT picking up a
problem with the attachment so it may be spam.  However, it is very
suspicious and I recommend you NOT open any attachment associated with the
following information.

The messages I have received so far all claim to be from BOB  HECK  from a
group called  MPAFUG.   This group is a legitimate genealogy organization
and Mr. Heck is associated with it.  The message is also very complete but
in all cases, Mr. Heck's email address is spoofed and is not his real
address.  This is the first clue that there is a problem.

The second clue is the name of the attachment which is:

MrSIDBrowserPlugin.exe.exe
or
MrSIDBrowserPlugin.exe.pif

Any time you see such a double extension on an attachment, you should be
particularly vigilant.

The third clue is that the attachment is not mentioned in the body of the
text and is not relevant to the message.

As I mentioned, I am not absolutely certain this is a virus but I recommend
that you not open any such attachment if you receive it.

If you have any further questions or comments, please direct them to me
personally.

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html