[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Jesswein or Gesswein

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 14 06:57:15 PDT 2003

Yes and no and maybe.

There is no easy answer on this issue.  There is no doubt that
historically, some pastors and other record keepers were not careful about
the use of J vs. G.  So:

Jess can = Gess
Jeske can = Geske
Jutersonke can = Gitersonke

etc.

This does not necessarily apply to every name that begins with J or G.  I
have never seen Girschewski spelled Jirschewski nor Job spelled Gob.  I
have no explanation for why it occurs with certain surnames.

Some families were particular about the spelling and so there are branches
where the spelling has been consistent for many years.  The Jesswein and
Gesswein families were probably connected at some historical point but
where the division occurred is something that can only be proven through
documentation of 2 families tracing backwards to a common origin.

At 08:07 PM 13/07/2003 -0700, Ancestors wrote:
>In the EWZ records there are both Jesswein families and Gesswein families. I
>wonder whether the families are connected. Are these the same family names, or
>could they be two distinct family groups? Is anyone familiar with the two
>names? The area is Protowka or Neuheim, near Zhitomir.
>
>Thanks
>
>Dwayne

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca