[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Jesswein or Gesswein

Otto otto at schienke.com
Tue Jul 15 08:05:01 PDT 2003

Character substitution is not uncommon. . . German into Russian
Cyrillic.
I've encountered character substitution quite a few times in the
encoding of German vocal sound into Russian vocal sound by the scribes
of the time. The writers were attempting to communicate, not receive a
scholastic award.
Researchers should remember they are using a phonetic alphabet; be it
German, Polish, or Russian.
The letters are simulating vocal sounds of the speakers that are
embodied in the group of users.

"Sounds like" should be the rule to follow. . . not "looks like," the
alphabets are not pictographic.

Then as Jerry stated, link them to other known members of the family to
prove out if they belong.

There is no easy road.
After years of mucking through old church records I apply my own little
rule, "the obvious always giggles."

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 09:43  AM, Annegret Krause wrote:

> So my idea proves to be right. Also Goesswein (o umlaut) is pronounced
> Jesswein in the Low German of Eastern Europe.
> In addition: In the Russian alphabet there is no "G". Maybe they wrote
> "J" instead of it.
> Annegret

...  Otto

                     " The Zen moment..." wk. of July 13, 2003-