[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname spelling changes

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Tue Jul 15 10:20:55 PDT 2003

To all,

To add yet another true example to Jerry's email about family names, I
offer the following:

My great-grandfather's surname was Schaumann per his Russian passport and
also per other old Russian records (ones that were written in German!).  He
had six sons who you would think would use his surname.  That is not the
case for all but one of them, and it had nothing to do with any immigration
officer, but rather personal desire for a certain name.  My example does
not even totally follow the sounds like rule.

One remained a Schaumann
Two of his sons became Schuman
Two became Shauman
One became Sherman