[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Meaning of national bourgeois

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 18 17:01:27 PDT 2003

At 05:17 PM 18/07/2003 -0700, Donald Miller wrote:
>I am researching the files of repressed German Baptist pastors in the State
>Archives in Zhitomir.  On a number of occasions I have come across the
>accusation "national bourgeois," also "world bourgeois."  What is the meaning
>of these terms as they apply to the repression of the German colonists by the
>Soviet regime.

I am not a political scientist nor student of broad history so I'm not even
clear on what bourgeois means.  However, either phrase gets numerous hits
with a GOOGLE search.  It is still used today in countries that are
experiencing certain kinds of oppression.

As an example from one page, we find, "On the 25th of March 1918, under the
conditions of occupation by the German troops, the Belarusian People's
Republic was proclaimed, as a national bourgeois-democratic state. It
failed, however, to turn into a fully-fledged state: it had no
Constitution, no state boundaries, it had no armed forces of its own, the
financial system and other attributes of statehood were not formed. "

I don't know if it has a narrower meaning in context with the Germans in
Volhynia.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca