[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] varying dates

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Mon Jul 21 08:32:06 PDT 2003

Margrit,

Sounds like you have a problem with calendars.  Dates in Europe in the
1800s, and early 1900s are Julian calendar dates, or in some cases, both
the Julian calendar and the modern Gregorian calendar.  Dates in North
America are always Gregorian calendar.

The time between the two calendars is about 10 to 13 days, depending on the
century.  Go to http://www.calendarhome.com/converter/ to see how the dates
relate.

If the dates do not match those provided in the calendar converter, then
likely one of the dates has been extracted incorrectly.  Look at the
original record again if you have it, and make sure that the record is not
made on one day, but notes the event on some other days several days before.

Gary Warner
SGGEE