[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] varying dates

Bill Fife wmfife at telus.net
Mon Jul 21 13:43:12 PDT 2003

Here is some family lore which, if true, could mean that even the recorded
birth date may be wrong.

My uncle writes

"My journey through life began in a small community in Russia geographically
identified as Volynska, Gobernia, Ojesda, Nova Richka, on the second day of
August, 1923 - but because my parents were unable to register this event
within the prescribed time limit and because there was a penalty for late
filing, my birth was recorded as being the eleventh of August."

Does anyone know if in fact there was a penalty for late filing?  If there
was, it could account for some ambiguity in birth dates.

Bill