[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] varying dates; penalty for late filing

Howard Krushel krushelh at telus.net
Tue Jul 22 09:00:23 PDT 2003

I am wondering just how high the rate of recording errors was here, as well
as in Volhynia. One does need to keep an open mind when reading old records.
I found an amazing number of blatant mistakes in the records of  Manitoba.
One dealt with my own birth registration; upon investigation I found the
registration was left to the Doctor who it seems forgot some of the details.
A friend  from Central Poland too suggested that in the old days in Poland,
recording errors at times occurred due to the fact that the father and his
witnesses were often very much into the celebration of a birth, and as a
result the information offered to the recorder was not always totally
accurate. Now if the recorder joined in with the celebration before writting
the records that could lead to even more mistakes.
So taking all things into account , calender date differences, the need to
re-write the records in order to make extra copies, etc.,etc., perhaps the
error rate was not all that high.
Howard Krushel
krushelh at telus.net