[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Holand Russian?

Irene Kopetzke kopetzke at gmx.net
Fri Jul 25 05:04:35 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003 4:23 PM, bfand wrote:
>  in the Wandering Volhynians that showed that there was
>  some very early Dutch/ Mennonite settlements far east of
>  Warsaw near the Bug River. Im not certain if that area was
>  actually Poland or if it was into Volhynia. I believe that this
>  might have been as early as the mid 1600s.
>  I wonder if those early settlements still existed at the time of
>  the German migration in the 1800s or had those people moved
>  on to some other places ?

The so called "Bug-Hollander" settlements Neudorf-Neubruch 20km south
of Brest were founded in 1617, on the banks of the Bug River. The
settlers were of Lutheran faith (no Mennonites) with names like
Hildebrand, Hueneburg, Baum, Krebs, Holz, Buetow, Sillentin/Selent,
Lodwig, Popke, Ryll, to name a few. By the time their ancestors
emigrated to Prussia and Poland (abt. 1520-1550), the Netherlands were
part of the German Reich.

Apart from Neudorf-Neubruch at least 12 daughter colonies were
established. Along the Bug river:
   Sabushskie-Holendry (1824?)
   Swierzowskie-Holendry
   Zamostecze
   Nowiny-Holendry
   Zajowka
   Zankow
   Podluze

Kreis Luck:
   Oleczkiewicz (1816)
   Josefin-Holendry (1835)

Kreis Kowel:
   Aleksandrowka-Holendry (1819? 1824?)
   Janow
   Karolinka

Between 1910 and 1915, more than 80 families emigrated to the Irkutsk
area of Siberia, 5.000 km east of Moscow. They still call themselves
Hollanders (Gollendry) and seem to have preserved much of their
identity. A Dutch journalist from Moscow visited their village
Pichtinsk (formerly Zamostecze) in about 2001. His article about these
Hollanders was published in the Russian magazine "Itogi", along with
some beautiful pictures taken by the Russian photographer Aleksandr
Sorin.

The remaining Bug-Hollanders of Polish Volhynia were resettled in 1940
to the Warthegau region of Poland, and then fled to Germany in 1945.

I found out that it is almost impossible to NOT stumble on a Ryll or
Selent descendant on a gathering of Volhynians in Germany ;-).

Irene Kopetzke
kopetzke at gmx.net