[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Administration: Why you got so many messages yesterday

Jerry Frank GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
Fri Jun 6 07:13:45 PDT 2003

We experienced some problems with our mail delivery system over the past
week.  For some reason, messages were being held in queue without being
distributed.  When we discovered the problem, we ran a fix that released
them all at once.  It also released 2 messages that were over a year old
which also had somehow got caught up without distribution.

We apologize for any inconvenience this caused.  We are upgrading the
system over the next few days so there may be a few more
glitches.  Everything should be back to normal next week.

And while we are on administrative issues - please ensure that you have
installed a virus checker and that it is up to date.  A new variant of the
Bugbear virus worm is making the rounds.  Reports indicate that it can
infect your computer just by opening the email message with Microsoft
Explorer rather than by additionally clicking on an attachment.  Another
safety feature you might consider is use of an independent email program
such as Eudora.  The Lite version is free.  The full featured version is
free if you don't mind an unobtrusive small ad in the bottom left corner
that changes from time to time.  You can also pay a one time fee to receive
the full featured version without the ad.  The independent program prevents
the virus from automatically installing itself but it could still
distribute the virus if your computer was otherwise infected.

We would remind you that our mailing list will not allow distribution of
attachments so infection by way of the list is highly improbable.  As with
other viruses, this one spoofs the return address so you might think the
message is coming from our mailing list or personally from someone else on
it.  As usual, use caution in dealing with any such messages.

If you have questions or comments about either of these issues, please
respond to me privately rather than via the mailing list.

Thanks again for your patience and happy ancestor hunting.

Jerry Frank - List Administrator for [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html