[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Muller, Mauzei, Jalowice

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 6 08:27:51 PDT 2003

There is a good possibility you are focusing on the wrong area.  You should
probably be looking in Volhynia which is the northwestern section
of  modern Ukraine.  Before WW I it was part of Russia and after, the
western half of it was under Poland rule.  If you check into the origins of
other Germans in the Bristol, CT region, I think you will find many others
with origins in Volhynia.  It is one of the few settlements of Volhynian
Germans on the east coast of North America (perhaps the only one??).  Most
went to the farms of the midwest and western regions of the States and Canada.

There is a village (known to have German residents) called Jalowica
(Jalowice is certainly a viable variant spelling) at map coordinates about
26/08 and 50/55, just a few km north of Derazno in the western half of
Volhynia.

Furthermore, I am not convinced that Pojalowice is a good spelling fit for
your location and the other 3 possibilities in modern Poland were not in
Russian sections.  Of over 3000 known German villages in Russian Poland,
Jalowice is not one of them.

Having said all that, the only M possibilities near Jalowice in Volhynia
would be Michalowka  and Marjanowka / Marianowka with the ka at the end of
such places often dropped in different sources.  A little further away is
Marykowo / Marykowa.  The k and ch in any of these place names could be
interchangeable, depending on the source.  If you can scan the record and
send it to me privately, I'd be willing to see if I can help you identify
your M location.

Muller / Mueller is a very common surname in Volhynia.  It would be helpful
if you knew the names of Wilhelm's parents or siblings.  With that, you
might be able to find the family in the databases at http://www.sggee.org .

I cannot comment directly on the Mauzei surname.  I don't see it in the
database.  Mauser / Mauzer would seem more likely.

At 04:30 PM 05/06/2003 -0400, Michael & Maureen McHenry wrote:
>My grand father immigrated (via Bremen) to America via NY in 1901. The
>immigration records indicate he is an ethnic German from Russia. He
>gives his town as Jolowice. Another family record has the spelling as
>Jalowice. Up until 1920 he consistently gives his origins as Russia. In
>the census of 1920 however this is changed to Poland. This I assume was
>due to the recreation of Poland after WWI. There is a Jalowice in
>western Poland today. Its location near the current German border would
>not be within the boundaries of the 1901 Russian empire instead the
>German empire. There is a PoJALOWICE near Miechow in today's Poland. It
>would be in the boundaries of the Russia Empire. Miechow is close to the
>spelling in my grandmother's immigration record below.
>
>My grandfather's name was Wilhelm Muller (an umlaut on the U) and was of
>the Lutheran faith. He married Auguste Mauzei, an unusual German
>surname, also a German from Russia in 1902 in Bristol, Ct. I do not have
>a record of her immigration apparently in 1902, consequently no record
>of a town. However she returned to Russia in 1905 to have her first
>child. Upon her return to America in 1906 she gives a name of a town.
>The record is difficult to read. It appears to be M??chowa the question
>marks may be vowels. The child born there left a record indicating she
>was born in Jalowice.
>
>Is anyone familiar with this town of Pojalowice? Has anyone ever come
>across the Mauzei surname? I come up blank on most genealogy searches.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca