[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ostrow Poland Search

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 12 07:11:01 PDT 2003

Poznanskiego means province of Poznan.

Based on a modern map of Poland, I do not see any of the 44 Ostrow within
that region.  From an 1805 map, I found an Ostrow (which no longer appears
on modern maps) located at about 52/07 and 17/35, just below the village of
Gasiorowo.

It is important to understand that the provincial boundaries changed many
times over the last few centuries so this is not necessarily the correct
one.  The site you mention in particular uses boundaries as the were
between the 2 World Wars.

I highly recommend that you use the second hand info you found as a guide
to conduct your own record by record research.  This will help you to
follow the actual trail of your ancestors and may help to pinpoint the true
location.

At 05:24 PM 09/06/2003 -0400, Yamkin66 at aol.com wrote:
>I believe that I have found a GGGGgrandfather on the Family Search site.
>It says that he was christened in 1766 at Ostrow Poznanskiego Poland.  I have
>found several Ostrow Polands on their site but none for Poznanskiego.
>Has Poznanskiego changed names?
>
>Ruth Bibbo

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca