[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Town of Grojetz/HAUPT

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 16 06:53:19 PDT 2003

At the very least, we know that the "c" at the end of a Polish word would
usually be spelled "tz" by a German.  Vice versa is also true - Schultz =
Shulc.  So there is a high probability that this is the right place.

We also know from SGGEE databases that there was a Haupt family living at
Lazinska Kolonia (not too far from Grodziec but somewhat closer to Zagarow)
including a Gottfried Haupt born there in 1836.  Further research would be
required to determine if this was a fit for your family or not.

This area was part of South Prussia prior to 1806 when Napoleon marched
through.  At the Congress of Vienna in 1815, it was turned over to Russia
and became part of Congress / Russian Poland.

For a list of available records for Lutheran parishes of Grodziec, Zagarow,
and Konin, see http://sggee.org/PolishLutheranArchives

At 12:21 AM 16/06/2003 -0400, jschu9014 at aol.com wrote:
>I recently received the EWZ papers for Amanda Haupt Nickel born in
>Glickstal/Bubny in Volhynia and may be the sister of Pauline Haupt Nickel
>whose photo I
>found in an old album belonging to my Aunt Herta Haupt.  Amanda's father,
>Gottfried Haupt is listed as being born in GROJETZ .  I tried the JewishGen
>ShtetlSeeker and got back 25 variations on spelling, but none of them were
>exactly
>the same.  Is it possible this might be the village of "GRODZIEC" found on
>the
>far boarder of Poland near Prussia?
>Other towns near Grodziec are Zagarow, Konin and Slupca.  Was this area ever
>a part of Prussia and if so, when?  Where would records dating 1845 to
>1870 be
>held if they are available at all?

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca