Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Nühring, Nehring, Nuehring

Richard Benert benovich at montanadsl.net
Sun Jun 22 20:44:33 PDT 2003

(Aus "Das grosse Buch der Familiennamen", Horst Naumann, Gesellschaft f|r
deutsche Sprache, p.202):

NEHRING  1372 Neryng, 1460 Nerig=Neringk.  Uebernahme zu Mittelniederdeutsch
"neri(n)ge, naringe"  'Nahrung, Verdienst, Erwerb' bzw. Mittelniederdeutsch
"nerich"  'auf seine Nahrung bedacht; |bertragen: sparsam, geizig', selten
Herkunftsnahme zum Ortsnahme "Nehrung, Nehring 'lange schmale Landzunge'.

I hesitate to try to translate this, but it seems to be something like:

The name appears in 1372 as Neryng, in 1460 as Nerig or Neringk.  Adoption
to middle low German, "neri(n)ge, naringe" [meaning] food, earnings or
service or merit, or middle low German "nerich", 'concerned about his food
or sustenance', 'thrifty', 'miserly'.  Seldom a name of origin or place, as
Nehringen, or a name of a residence or locality, "Nehrung, Nehring", 'a
long, narrow tongue of land'.

I am not at all confident that I have translated this correctly, and I hope
some of our German listers will correct my mistakes!  Also, I certainly
cannot vouch for the truth of any of this!

Dick Benert