[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Area around Novograd Volhynsk

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Sat Jun 28 10:01:47 PDT 2003

Looking for anyone who knows of a Jewish Underground movement that is
supposed to be operating at the turn of the century to enable anyone who wanted out
of Volhynia, probably because of who they were but understand that non-Jewish
friends utilized this service as well.  I have a family story of my husband's
father, Friedrich Less, that I have no proof of yet.  It has been said that he
"escaped" out of Volhynia in 1903 and the only paper he had with him was his
confirmation paper as confirming his identity. His brother "went out" the year
before with wife & young child and their story is that they left middle of
night, met a farmer near the border to Poland, waited until the guards met and
walked on.  One guard had been paid and would flick his cigarette when all was
well telling the "escapees" it was okay to move across.  Then brother Erdmann
Less & family met another farmer on the Polish side, stayed there until it was
safe to move on.  We feel that his brother, Freidrich, also left in this way a
year later.   Of course, there probably was money paid and family story says
the two brothers earned money making barrels etc.so they could eventually go
to America.  Erdmann was also on leave from his military duty so his "escape"
had to be because of that.  Now -
The story I have heard is that the Jewish Underground existed around Novograd
Volhynsk.  My husband's father and brother lived not very many miles from
there in the village of Warwarowka which is not far from the highway to Novograd
V.
Okay - does anyone know of this Underground?  Sure would like to find out
more.
Thanks.
Virginia Less