[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Spoofed address from virus; Was Re: Application

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Sat Jun 28 13:54:14 PDT 2003

    Ahh!!  That"s the application being referred to!   I recognized them as trash immediately and deleted them.

John

  This posting is for administrative purposes.  If you have any comments
  about it, please reply to me personally rather than to the list.

  Another virus is making the rounds using spoofed addresses and a zipped
  file attachment.  I received 5 of them personally on Wednesday but none
  since then, some spoofed with addresses that I know to be genealogically
  connected.  This however is the first one I've encountered recently using
  our mailing list address.  I do not know the name of or any details about
  this particular virus.

  Please remember - our mailing list CANNOT and WILL NOT distribute any
  attachments.  This protects against a virus being distributed through our
  mailing list, even if a subscriber has become infected.

  If you receive a message claiming to be from the list that has an
  attachment, you can be sure that it did not originate here but rather is
  spoofed from someone who is infected by a virus.  Another way to help
  identify a message that truly originates from our list is that the subject
  line will be headed by the [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]  phrase.  I can guarantee
  you that the message you responded to did not have that.

  If you attempted to open that attachment without adequate virus protection
  on your computer, it is possible that you are now infected.  You should run
  a full virus check as soon as possible with a checker that has been updated
  in the last couple of days.

  At 09:32 AM 28/06/2003 -0500, Royal Natzke wrote:
  >Ordinarly we can open zip files, but we weren't able to do that with this
  >one. Please send as regular and we should get it. Also make note that our
  >address is changed to: rdnatzke at execpc.com  Royal and Dorothy Natzke

  Jerry Frank - List Administrator for [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
  GPVListAdmin at sggee.org
  http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html