[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans in Denmark

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 10 07:24:03 PST 2003

There is a database online covering those people who received Danish
citizenship between 1776 and 1960.  This includes significant numbers of
Germans originally from Volhynia and especially Russian
Poland.  http://ddd.dda.dk/immibas/immibas2.asp

Unfortunately, it is not the easiest to use as you will note from the
comments that follow but it may be of help if you know your migration route
went that way.  According to a posting on the German Volhynian website,
here are some of the surnames that may be of interest:

Aul, Bloch, Braun, Buss, D|sterhvft, Ferle, G|rtel, Hauer, Hiller,
Ittermann, Janke, Karger, Karow, Kelm, Kirsch, Klisch, Krebs, Kublik,
Leschnewske, L|ck, Maev, Majeske, Manke, Neumann, Patzer, Petsch, Radke,
Rau, Reichswald, Richter, Rinas, Schmidt, Schmidtke, Seehagen, Seide,
Selch, Weidmann, Weinkauf, Weiss, Welke, Wolf, Zielke und Zimmer

PLEASE  READ  THE  FOLLOWING  BEFORE  ATTEMPTING  TO  USE  IT.  Jan Textor
kindly provided the following translations for the headers used along with
some additional information about the site.

The search fields are as follows:
Efternavn = Surname
Fornavn = Given name
Bopfl (bopael) =  Place of residence (in Denmark)
Erhverv = Occupation
Fxdelokalitet (Foedelokalitet) = Place (or region) of birth
Fxdeland = Native land

Only one of these fields is needed for the search, but it would probably
not make much sense to search by other than "Efternavn", "Fxdelokalitet",
and "Fxdeland". When searching by "Fxdeland", one has to use the Danish
country names:
Germany = Tyskland
Poland = Polen
Russia = Rusland

The search results are shown as follows:
Efternavn (see above)
Fornavn (see above)
Erhverv (see above)
Fxdelokalitet (see above)
Fxdeland (see above)
Fxdselser = Year of birth
I DK fra = (Residing) in Denmark from (year)
Bopfl, lokalitet = Place of residence, locality (in Denmark)
Amt, region = County, region
Lov af = Date of statute or act (by which the person received citizenship)
Tillfg = Appendix or addendum (I don't know the right word to use)
Lxbenr. = Serial number
Benfrkninger = Remarks

The "remarks" section gives information about different matters, such as
how and/or why the person came to Denmark - name of spouse, if any - how
many children, if any - etc.

A search for all immigrants from "Polen" in the field "Fxdeland" returns
2254 results. "Rusland" returns 1265, and "Tyskland" 19198 results. A
search for "Volhynien" in the field "Fxdelokalitet" returns 6 results only.

The search results are not shown by a certain number (10, 20, etc) per
page. For instance, all 2254 results from Poland are shown on one page, and
not in any particular order. It is not possible to sort the results by any
field. In my opinion this is a major drawback.

I hope you will be able try out the search engine for yourself now, and if
you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask them. Have fun.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca