[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] (OBIT) Gary Less 1922-2003

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 19 22:51:23 PST 2003

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Gary Less, March
18, 2003.

Gary and his surviving wife, Virginia, were founding members of the Society
for German Genealogy in Eastern Europe.   They have been very active in
their support and if you ever attended an SGGEE convention, you would have
found them both in attendance.  We will miss Gary's wry, or was it sly,
smile as he and Virginia searched through records for their own ancestry,
as well as helping others with theirs.   The couple recently completed
their Bergstraesser family book which detailed family origins in Volhynia
and Russian Poland.  Virginia wrote and compiled much of the material while
Gary edited and formatted it for publication.  The couple has also been
actively involved in the American Historical Society of Germans from
Russia, including the local chapter in the Chicago area.

Gary was born Jan. 31, 1922 in Ponca, Nebraska, son of Friedrich and
Juliana (Bergstraesser) Less, both Volhynian German immigrants.  He
graduated with a BA in Mechanical Engineering in 1950 and was employed
continuously after that by the Natural Gas Pipeline of America until his
retirement in 1986.  In addition to his wife, our good friend Virginia, he
is survived by two daughters, three grandchildren, and one brother.   He
was predeceased by his parents, one brother and four sisters.

In addition to his genealogical interests, Gary had been active in church
leadership  and the Glen Ellyn Kiwanis club, and he enjoyed bowling,
golfing, and gardening in his spare time.   We will miss having meals
together with him at our conventions but take comfort in knowing that his
legacy will not be forgotten.  He has left a legacy not only for family and
those that know him but for many who will take up the genealogical hobby in
time to come.

We extend our sincerest and heart-felt sympathies to the family in this
time of earthly loss.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca