[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Search Fees in Poland

Richard Stein stein at enel.ucalgary.ca
Thu Mar 27 15:41:42 PST 2003

Marlis,

I have obtained photocopies of vital records for Polish Volhynia from AGAD
on several occasions.  The fee schedule is as follows (my schedule is about
two years old and as far as I know it hasn't changed):
Basic fee	30USD
Search for documents	15USD per hour
Photocopy	10USD

In my experience, the costs for search time were reasonable.  When I knew
the dates and names of the records, they charged the 30USD plus 10USD per
record.  The process took three to six months altogether.  AGAD doesn't
request a down payment but some of the state archives have requested the
30USD basic fee in advance.  They advise you what they have found and the
total cost.  After they receive your payment, the records are sent.  I
always wrote in Polish which extended the time because I don't know Polish
and have to obtain translations.  Some of the archives will communicate by
email.

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck.

Dick Stein