[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Suwalki

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 31 13:50:34 PST 2003

I could not find an exact match for Pojawia anywhere.

On the assumption that it might be near Sudawsky, I used ShtetlSeeker to
search all places within a 30 mile radius beginning with the letter
P.  Believe it or not, there are 190 such villages scattered throughout
Poland, Lithuania, and Russia.

The closest match I could find was 12 miles NNW of Sudawsky, a village that
has the following variant spellings:

Pajavonio / Pajavonys / Pajevonio / Pajevonys / Payevonis / Pajevon'

On an East Prussia map (though it would have been just east of the border)
you can see it as Pajevonis.
http://www.webarchiv-server.de/pin/landkarte/karte158.htm

You can browse through this list of 190 places yourself by using the
"Distance" option on:

At 06:38 PM 31/03/2003 +0000, Dr. Harry Stossun wrote:
>H. Stossun
>Ratzeburg
>Germany
>

>I am new in this list and I need information about two villages in
>Suwalki, where my grand grandparants came from. My grand grandfather was
>born in 1901 in Sudawsky and his wife came from Pojawia. She was born
>there 1898. I found Sudawsky in a map, but not Pojawia. Has anybody
>information to which church this villages belonged and where I can get the
>church records?
>I am new in family research and hope for help.
>Thank you!
>Harry

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca