[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Research in Zhitomir area

Jim & Muriel Gambrel jgambrel at shaw.ca
Sun May 4 11:38:27 PDT 2003

I hope noone minds if I mention this again, in case there are new subscribers
that might have knowledge of this.

I am researching GUSTAV PETER, born Dec 17 1903, in Kreis Shitomir
(spelling according to baptismal document), and the town, as best as we can
decipher it, is Labeda, or Lebeda.

Gustav was not christened until Oct 17, 1907, after his father died.
His godparents were Michael and Juliana Mielkow, from
Kollonie Olovornetz (?) or Silovornetz (?).
His mother died soon after he was born.  He had two older siblings,
a brother Samuel, and a sister perhaps named Amalia.
His father married again, and then his father died when Gustav
was about 4 years old.  The family was split up, each child was
given to a different family, and they never saw each other, or heard
from each other, again.  Gustav was given to a family named Balkow,
or Balkav, and they had him christened in the Lutheran Church.
When Gustav was about 8 or 9, this family moved to East Prussia,
and Gustav was confirmed in Borchersdorf, East Prussia.

The problem is, that no parents names are given on the baptismal certificate.

I have not been able to find any placenames that sound like Olovornetz, etc.

Does anyone know if there is a similar place name?  And was the 'Labeda'
mentioned, another name for Libau?  I am grasping at straws, here.

I have checked the St. Petersburg list of names, and there is an
August Peter who married in 1885.  But that is 18 years before Gustav
was born, and does not seem likely.  Even having an older sister, I doubt
she was 18 or 19, when the father died, because she would have been old
enough to marry and take care of her younger siblings.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.

Thank you
Muriel