[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] help with words

Irene Kopetzke kopetzke at uni.de
Mon May 5 03:52:31 PDT 2003

MARTHA JACOBS <msjacobs at flash.net> wrote:

>   Also what is "rafte" in reference to many people being killed.
> I have searched every  possilble reference and can not even find

Martha,
the word has double f "raffte", from infinitive "raffen". There are
many meanings (eg: reap, gather, grab, amass) depending on the
context in which the word is used. In reference to someone being
killed (by disease) it means something like "snatch away", at least
that's what my dictionary says. My English is not good enough to
comment on whether this is the correct translation.

Irene Kopetzke
kopetzke at uni.de