[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] ship manifest

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon May 5 09:52:42 PDT 2003

At 11:48 AM 05/05/2003 -0400, Gail Wilson wrote:
>I am having trouble making out some handwriting and German words.  Can
>anyone taken a look at the Ellis Island site and tell me what you make of
>it.  Go to the Morse index for Ellis Island at
>http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html
>
>and put in Michael Mund arriving in 1913.  The page that comes up is page
>#244.  On page #243 Michael Mund is traveling with Wilhemine Mund.  I am
>trying to figure out the nearest relative from when the alien came and it
>lists grosse (??) Schmidt.  What is Schmidt's relationship to these people?

I don't think there are any German words or that the word is grosse
(compare first letter to the G in other words on the page).

If you look at the format of all the other entries in that column, you find:

relationship - surname - given name
town - county
then, in some cases, relation to the people below

In that case, I read this line to be:

Broth. Schmidt, Gottl.
Scharlatowe, Kalisch
uncl.

So:  Gottlieb Schmidt, brother of Wilhelmine and uncle to the 2 children
traveling with her.

I know the first letter of Broth. doesn't look like a B and I couldn't find
anything else on the page to compare it to.  However I am quite certain
about the "roth" and the writer is not consistent with his script (for
example, see the M in Mund and Michael;  also is the older sibling really
Patalie or should it be Natalie? - compare to Natalka in line #3).  Since
the first word is always a relationship, Broth. is the only thing that
makes sense.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca