[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] birthplace

Jan Textor textor at oncable.dk
Fri May 9 07:47:48 PDT 2003

Jerry Frank wrote:
> At 05:48 AM 07/05/2003 -0600, Delores Stevens wrote:
> >If a birthplace states Gostynin, Gostynin, Warszawa, Poland or
> Wloclawek,
> >Wloclawek, Bydgoszcz, Poland:  what does this mean.  Is the
> first one the
> >town (village) and the last is the Country, what are the other 2.
>

> Typically this would be parish - county - province - country.  The actual
> village if applicable will be noted in the final record.
>
> Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
> jkfrank at shaw.ca

I think that when we are talking about the source "SGGEE001r3" in the SGGEE
Pedigree Database, the first name is the birth town (village) and not the
parish. I don't think that the parish is mentioned at all. You are
undoubtedly right about the next three = county - province - country.

However, with regard to the province name one must remember that the
designations of the Polish provinces have changed several times during the
past couple of hundred years. One can find a good explanation here:
http://www.maxpages.com/poland/Maps_and_Towns_Poland

If we take the example of Wloclawek, it is in the Kujawsko-pomorskie
province (wojewodztwo) today. However, Bydgoszcz is the capital of this
province. Between 1975 and 1999 Wloclawek had its own province, the
Wloclawskie province (wojewodztwo). Between 1946 and 1975, as well as
between the two World Wars, Wloclawek belonged to the Bydgoszcz province.
During the long period when Wloclawek belonged to Congress Poland (1815
until WWI) it was definitely not in the Bydgoszcz province, because
Bydgoszcz (Bromberg) belonged to another country then (Prussia). As most of
the births in the SGGEE database are from that period, I personally find it
a bit misleading that Bydgoszcz is mentioned as the province. But that is of
course a matter of opinion.

Jan Textor, Denmark