[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] birthplace

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Fri May 9 08:33:52 PDT 2003

Jan's description is correct.  There have been significant boundary changes
over time.

However, I don't think that the first place name is necessarily the place
of birth.  My FRANK family is from the Gostynin parish so I have looked
through a lot of records in that location from 1820 through 1868.  I recall
few, if any, Germans that lived right in the town of Gostynin.  They all
lived in surrounding villages.

I believe that this format is that which is established for LDS
indexing.  That indexing never includes village names in Poland.  Some
village names are usually included in the description of the microfilm
contents but not in the title nor in the index.  If the first name is not
the parish, then I don't know what the reason would be for the duplication.

Al Muth has done a lot of the work in extracting these records.  Perhaps he
can enlighten us more.

jkfrank at shaw.ca