[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Musings about population demographics in Volhynia

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Fri May 9 13:07:06 PDT 2003

At 01:38 PM 09/05/2003 -0400, Richard Benert wrote:

>The total Lutheran population, from these figures, is about 130,310, if my
>calculator is working correctly.  If you add in the Baptists and others not
>included in the Lutheran figures (there were almost 20,000 Baptists in the
>1897 census, says Giesinger) you come up with a figure remarkably close to
>Jerry's estimate of 153,000 total German population.  Amazingly, Jerry came
>up with that figure on the basis of an average village population much
>smaller than those I gave above.  I hope someone can explain this mystery!

Based on the index to my map, I *estimate* it shows 1300 villages.  This of
course includes villages of all faiths.  Assuming that average Baptist
villages are about the same size as Lutheran, the ratio still
applies.  1300 x 118 (average from Tutschin parish) = 153,000.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca