[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_[Ger-Poland-Volhynia]_Re:_[Ger-Poland-Volhyn i?= a] Hilfe für das Archiv in Shitomir gesucht

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sat May 10 20:22:06 PDT 2003

Here is a loose translation of the E-letter:

From: "Jens Kobusz" <jens.kobusz at gmx.de>

My English is unfortunately not very good, but my request is very
important.  Therefore I write in German, since I know that there are
many people (e.g. Jerry Frank), which can correctly translate  and
possibly also pass this E-Mail on  to the appropriate places.

My brother, in April, was at archives in Shitomir/Zhitomir.
As a "German" he was not particularly gladly seen there. On one hand it
offended against the there usual behavior rules and in addition was
rejected.
(at least three days before one plans to do research in the Archives,
one must make a request and get an answer whether it is permitted or
not)

And in addition, a request for assistance of the Archives was rejected
in Germany.
Unfortunately I cannot say, to which institution, combination,
organization, Ministry... the request for assistance was made to in
Germany.  But a dishonor (for Germany) it remains...

Therefore thus my request:
Are there persons, organizations etc., which would contact the Director
of the Archives,
at least once,
and be informed about the kind, and extent, of assistance existing for
the Archives.
I think, it would be in the interest of all researchers, if we could
get the "assistance aspect" for the Archive to stand on its legs.
(instead of being like a helpless calf-[my opinion -o.])

By the way the woman employees are very friendly; and at least one
woman employee can dispense information in English.

Naturally I would also not like to miss communicating to you further
details of the attendance in archives:

-Times Open:
Monday Thursday of 9:30 o'clock to 17:00 o'clock,
on Friday of 9:30 o'clock to 15:00 o'clock,
Sunday and Holidays-Closed.
--Photographs with the camera; only by request, and approval of the
Director
(same probably applies to copies with the scanner)
- From the Archives one can get copies, which are probably however not
made in Archives.

- Fees result overall for the use of the Archives, which pays, once,
for the attendance up to the year end entitled.
This fee amounts to 2 grasps * = approx..  0.36 euro/US dollar
(1 euro = 5.60 grasps).  *  Grasps is the Ukrainian currency -

Church Books ever which can be lent exists a fee of 1 grasps = approx..
  0.18 euro/US dollar

- Church Books(C.B.) are present in archives starting from 1899, all
different before it (still existing C.B.) are as per statement of the
coworkers in St. Petersburg to lie.  \

To the C.B. alphabetically sorted name registers exist, so that one can
look purposefully and fast for the appropriate C.B..

(Surnames in the C.B. are registered both in Cyrillic and in Latin
writing, all other data are only Cyrillic.  Who does not understand the
Cyrillic alphabet, is well advised to be accompanied with a
Russian-speaking companion.

_There are probably extensive census files, those reaching back into
the 1800's.
Contained in it data are on one side; Marriage  Husband and children,
on the second side the data to (marriage)Wife;  in addition are also
registered except name and first name:  the year of the collection and
the age (however no birthday and month)

- there is also a book alphabetically arranged and lies in St. Pete
pixel data base- Contents vailable in printed form.
- who visits archives with a Notebook, finds here also plug sockets
(I am almost he is referring to laptop computers and sockets to jack in
to a main unit or a server.-o.)

On Saturday, May 10, 2003, at 08:11  PM, Jerry Frank wrote:
Could there be someone else on this list that can translate this,
please?  I can do brief inquiries but this one is too complex for me.

>> Mein Englisch ist leider nicht sehr gut, aber mein Anliegen sehr
>> wichtig.
>> Deshalb schreibe ich in Deutsch, da ich weiss, dass es viele Leute
>> gibt
>> (z.B. Jerry Frank), die diese Mail richtig uebersetzen und eventuell
>> auch an
>> die entsprechenden Stellen weiterleiten koennen.
>>
>> Mein Bruder war im April im Archiv in Shitomir/Zhitomir. Als
>> "Deutscher" war
>> er dort nicht besonders gern gesehen: zum einen hat er gegen die dort
>> ueblichen Verhaltensregeln verstossen (mindestens drei Tage bevor man
>> im
>> Archiv forschen moechte, muss man sein Anliegen dort vortragen und
>> bekommt
>> dann Bescheid, ob es gestattet wird oder nicht) und ausserdem wurde
>> ein
>> Hilfegesuch des Archives an Deutschland abgelehnt. Leider kann ich
>> nicht
>> sagen, an welche Institution, Vereinigung, Organisation, Ministerium,
>> ... in
>> Deutschland das Hilfegesuch ging. Aber eine Schande (fuer
>> Deutschland) ist
>> es allemal...
>>
>> Daher also mein Anliegen: Gibt es in den Foren Personen,
>> Organisationen
>> etc., die sich mit dem Direktor des Archives in Verbindung setzen
>> wuerden
>> und sich zumindest erst einmal ueber Art und Umfang von
>> Hilfeleistungen fuer
>> das Archiv informieren wuerden? Ich denke, es waere im Interesse aller
>> Forschenden, wenn wir eine Hilfe fuer das Archiv auf die Beine stellen
>> koennten.
>>
>> Uebrigens sind die MitarbeiterInnen im Archiv sehr freundlich und
>> mindestens
>> eine Mitarbeiterin kann sich auch Englisch verstaendigen.

  ...  Otto

                     " The Zen moment..." wk. of May 11, 2003-