[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] RE: (Ger-Poland-Volhynia) Name of Stolbe

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed May 14 23:30:57 PDT 2003

>I recently discovered my great great grandmother's maiden name was STOLBE. I am wondering if anyone might also be researching this name and if anyone has seen this name before.  There seems to be very few if any listings with this name and I am curious as to where the family would have originated from.  If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Hello Janice,
the STOLBE surename is indeed very rare and there is just one mennonite
event of it in the IGI (but lots of STOB and STOBB in the same parish
register of Markushof, West Prussia). I suppose an early misspelling of
STOLPE which was and still is very frequent in the eastern provinces of
late Prussia. It simply derives from several villages of the same name
in Brandenburg and Mecklenburg provinces and the town and district
capital Stolp (Slupsk) in the late province of Pomerania. The former
prime minister of Brandenburg and present German minister of traffic,
construction and environment is Dr. Manfred STOLPE.

Hope this was helpful,
Guenther
of Hilden, Germany (grown up in Brandenburg)