[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family Name: Fano

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 26 08:31:25 PST 2003

I think that you will find that the Paris you are looking for is actually
in Bessarabia, not Poland.  Bessarabia was a region of modern day Moldavia
and Ukraine but before WW I under Russian rule.  The French place names you
find in this area are in commemoration of battles fought by Napoleon.

If you go to http://pixel.cs.vt.edu/library/search.html insert Fano in the
top search engine and set it to look through the St. Petersburg
Archives.  You will find all kinds of Fano data there starting as early as
1834.  You should probably also browse around that same website for other
Bessarabian resources including connections to other people that may have
already done research on this family.

Then, for further direction and assistance in searching in Bessarabia, I
recommend you go to http://www.grhs.org which is the primary group that
supports Germans from Bessarabia.

I have noted that some Suss on the Pixel site seem to have connections to
Plotzk (aka Plock) which would be Russian Poland.  If your research takes
you in that direction, then SGGEE will be of further help to you.

At 10:52 AM 26/11/2003 -0500, Sharon Weldon wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I am looking for information on the family Fano.  Ferdinand Fano and his wife
>Katarina Fano (nee Tsuss or Suss) were my great grandparents. They lived at
>some point in the town of Paris, Poland in early 1900s.  They emigrated to
>Alberta where they farmed on the outskirts of Hanna.  I am looking for
>information on the unusual name of "Fano" and for any other relatives and also
>where this town might have been (or is) located.  Thank you.
>
>Sharon Weldon

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca