[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] a little Mennonite help, please?

Rose Ingram roseingram at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 1 16:01:25 PDT 2003

Dale,

My mother-in-law's great grandfather is Gerhardt Sawatsky both 1802 in
'Prussia'.  His family moved to Chortitza Colony, in Odessa.  I have not
done any extensive research on this family, so I can't be of much help, but
information from several family members indicate this family came from the
Elblag area, just northerly of Gulbein.   I'm told this family is also
mentioned in Karl Stummp's book.

I believe Sawatski/Sawatsky is a fairly common name.

Have you checked out Ed Brandt's website at
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~brand050/
and looked at Genealogical Guide to East and West Prussia (Ost- und
Westpreussen): Records, Sources, Publications & Events

Rose Ingram

From: "Dale Mattis"

: I'm researching my SAWATZKI/BAST branch, which came to Michigan around
: 1870 from an area near the West/East Prussia border, around Gulbein,
: Sommerau Parish, Kreis Rosenburg.
:
: This branch was Lutheran here, but I'm told that SAWATZKI is a fairly
: common Mennonite name.  A friend has found some Sawatzki names in the
: parish records in that area in the 1800-1850 timeframe.  I'm unfamiliar
: with Prussian research - would parish records in that timeframe include
: Mennonites?  Would there be an annotation of some type to delineate
: Mennonites (or any religious affiliation)?
:
: Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Dale
: