[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] RE: Commemorative Publication

Richard Benert benovich at montanadsl.net
Fri Oct 3 12:35:34 PDT 2003

Janice,

It is too bad that the Landsmannschaft didn't provide a clear reference to such
a list, if there is one.  All I can tell you is that there is a list in Karl
Lindemann, "Von den deutschen Kolonisten in Russland", (Stuttgart, 1924), on pp.
92 and 93.  This occurs in a chapter on German-Russian colonists in the Russian
military during WW I.  This list is reproduced in Ingeborg Fleischhauer, "Die
Deutschen im Zarenreich" (Stuttgart, 1986), pp. 624-25.    Lindemann (who was a
leading German/Russian intellectual and activist before, during and after the
War) collected this data during a tour of the south Russian colonies between
1919 and 1921.  He says he visited about 150 villages, but he records data for
only 30 of them.  For the rest, he lumps together the villages in entire
volosts, Kreise or Gouvernements.  For example, the figures for all the villages
in the Kreise of Odessa, Tiraspol and Ananjew (and the figure here is 2,088, not
1,088!).  He gives figures for the total number of draft-age males (over 19
years of age), the number drafted, the percentage of males drafted (on average,
over 60%), and then lists the number of soldiers who received medals or various
levels of officership.  His purpose in all this was to prove that Germans in
Russia had indeed been loyal to the Tsar and not traitors, as many Russian
publicists had said.

Unfortunately, for genealogical purposes, this list gives only numbers, not
names.  In his text, he does mention a few who received honors for bravery, etc.
These are Jakob Zeiss and Wilhelm Stieben from Ostheim (Taganrog), Martin Bogen
from Riebensdorf (Woronesch), one Classen from Grunau (Mariupol), Joseph Weiss
from Julianowka (Volhynia), a Lutscher from Hochstddt (Melitopol), a Kohb from
Neu-Nassau (Melitopol), Theodor Kneissler from Neu-Kronfeld (Melitopol),
Heinrich Schendel from Prischib.  This is the only personal information he
gives.

I don't know where the figure of 7,623 comes from.  When I add up Lindemann's
totals in this table, I get 11,975.  But this represents only the villages he
visited.  He guesses that about 250,000 German colonists in Russia served in the
Russian army in WW I.

In short, I don't think this list has value for genealogical research, but if
anyone is interested in seeing it, I might be able to scan it, providing I can
establish some sort of friendly relationship with my scanner, which isn't always
possible!

Dick Benert