[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish record name variations

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 20 07:19:02 PDT 2003

At 05:43 PM 18/10/2003 -0700, Karl Krueger wrote:

>A second unrelated question pertains to a record in Cyrillic which I had a
>Russian friend translate for me. When he came to my g-g-grandmothers name
>he pronounced the name as "Agatha" instead of Henriette as I know it and
>as it is written in earlier Polish records. I know the same individual is
>being referred to. Does anyone know if Agatha is a Russian version of
>Henriette?

Others responded well to your other questions.  In this instance, I wonder
if your translator friend had trouble with the transliteration of this
name.  You may want to get a second opinion of it.  I have seen instances
where some translators have done well with standard text but some people
names and place names get badly butchered because they are not familiar
with them.  This becomes an issue of correctly transliterating sometimes
badly written Cyrillic rather than translating it.

And, as someone else suggested, it may also have been her "baptism" or
legal name (first or second) rather than the one she was commonly known by.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca