[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Translation: Grudzienski .. (part 3 and end)

Gerhard König gk_eisenach at web.de
Fri Sep 26 16:52:06 PDT 2003

Mail from Joerg Brauer ( brauerjorg at compuserve.de )  part 3 and end
~~~~ Literal citation ~~~~
After some time came a few young men who brought me now also
in that house where I found a considerable society mens and
women with a merry and amusing meal, and my cousin in her middle.
Everything was quiet as I entered. I greeted them all friendly and
asked whether a not Christoph KLUDT is here. One pointed at my
cousin who met me now and said, I do not call KLUDT but
GRUDSCHINSKY, then we concern each other nothing, and I
search only one Christoph KLUDT, and then am false-gone.
He led me near in light and surely looked me in the face, and
said, I do not know them. I said, now this is possible, I also do
not know you, because where you have possibly seen me,
I was a small child, and I cannot remember at all that I had
seen you. My whole knowledge in this part is only from my
father in Russia, in Bessarabia which has applied to me his
brother Christoph KLUDT, in this region.

Now he kissed and greeted me, I was brought to a table near
him where he told mistake of his name now to me that a Polish
pastor who has christened him uses the light warmth of his
godfathers and changes thus his surname, however, he is really
Christoph KLUDT. Now I straightened the greetings of Russia
and Poland of our relatives to him. Food and drinking was brought,
and the merry meal lasted to midnight. Then we went by the dark
wood again home.

On the 24th November I went with cousin Christoph to the Holand
close in the Weitzel river Ladna where of the cousin's relative
there live the turners family.

On the 30th November I was present of Sunday at a service on
a Weitzel - island, the cousin Christoph held.
(The river is written as Weichsel why he Weitzel writes is unclear)
~~~~ End of citation ~~~~

>From another family chronicle it arises that the whole has gone
without knowledge of the parents before himself. Evidently the
parents of Christoph and my 3x great-grandfather's Johann (3)
KLUDT controlled not to see through Johann (2) KLUDT
(in 1743-1803) the Polish language enough around this deception
under her eyes. Johann (2) KLUDT was that from my direct ancestors
from Prussia to Poland changed. The present godfathers probably
the national language restrained were too uninterested either, too
silly, or were even with from the part, the more precise is not
reported about that point.

To understand the situation of the German colonists (only Protestant)
one must still know the following. Similarly how it also is today in
Poland, the Protestant Christians were in the minority. Indeed it
had been assured of them freedom of worship, but the Catholic
church (Jesuit??) this tolerance and they did not like the Germans
tried to move on the regional level differently strongly to the defection
in the Catholic church.
This went regionally differently so far that some of the colonists
were even pestered and were threatened. Besides, it came of some
pastors also to such fraudulences if the people did not pay attention.
If somebody was put down once in the church register as a Catholic
there was nobody back, also if it was not a deception. The rebutting
evidence was to be produced from the colonists barely, because in
the case of doubt was believed always the Catholic priest.

Thus Christoph KLUDT kept his wrong name GRUDSCHINSKI,
Catholic remained officially, however, has held as on top quoted
on a change island a Protestant service. My 2x great-grandfather
would have gone namely under no other circumstances to a Catholic
service. Indeed this is from my today's view very much purblindly,
however, so at that time this was level, and sometimes also even today.

Later in 1860/65 he had to experience that one of his sons
(Friedrich August KLUDT, in 1841-1913) with his whole family
changed to the Baptists. Thereupon he has almost totally
broken off the contact with this son. This son and three further
children of him have emigrated from 1894 to the USA. Today most
of these KLUDT descendants live in south and North Dakota.
Unfortunately, still no contact with these my relatives has
succeeded to me up to now. Nevertheless, probably I will have
to trouble the expensive snail post.

Now the Grudschinskis to me in Ksawerow (Xawerow) already
to second times are evident descendants were called by
Christoph KLUDT or it I gave even further church changes under
the KLUDT of those still nothing white. Here mine repeats quoted
2x great-grandfather was also in the area of Xawerof (according
to his manner of writing) and has visited there KLUDT relationship.

Today so with it end should be if the single trip stations (with
naming of name) he has visited because of the Herrnhuter are
of interest I ask for a suitable requirement.

With friendly greatings
Joerg Brauer, Berlin, Deutschland