[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Grudzienski Alternate Name

Howard Krushel krushelh at telus.net
Sun Sep 28 15:09:05 PDT 2003

Thank-you, it sure does help to have a grasp of the Polish language. I
recall finding my relative with the first name of "Gottlieb", a very common
German given name, but then also finding his wife married to a Bogumiel;this
was confusing until I discovered that this was the Polish equivalent of
Gottlieb(God love, in English). So it seems any German name can probably be
transcribed into Polish, not by just using letters as a Polish scribe might
but by translating the name into Polish. Incidentally the 3 common German
given names that were used were Gottlieb(God love), Gottlob(God praise), and
Gotthelf(God help); all of these would likely go back in time to when there
were very strong religious ties to either Catholicism or Lutheranism.
Howard Krushel
krushelh at telus.net