[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Numbers on the Ships Manifest

DAVID B OBEE daveobee at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 2 13:58:50 PST 2004

You didn't say whether these manifests were American or Canadian.

if you are referring to Canadian ones, these numbers refer to the dates that people applied to become naturalized citizens. They were not needed for people from the British Isles because they were already considered citizens. (Canadian citizenship did not exist until 1947; we are simply considered British until then.) They were needed for non-Commonwealth countries such as everything in Eastern Europe as well as the United States.

Dave Obee