[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Numbers on the Ships Manifest

Michael & Maureen McHenry maurmike at bellatlantic.net
Fri Apr 2 14:48:50 PST 2004

They were American -Ellis Island

                                 Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org
[mailto:ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org] On Behalf Of
DAVID B OBEE
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 4:59 PM
To: Michael & Maureen McHenry
Cc: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Subject: Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Numbers on the Ships Manifest

You didn't say whether these manifests were American or Canadian.

if you are referring to Canadian ones, these numbers refer to the dates
that people applied to become naturalized citizens. They were not needed
for people from the British Isles because they were already considered
citizens. (Canadian citizenship did not exist until 1947; we are simply
considered British until then.) They were needed for non-Commonwealth
countries such as everything in Eastern Europe as well as the United
States.

Dave Obee