[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Numbers on Ship's manifest

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 3 08:17:38 PST 2004

I don't think there is any doubt that these numbers have to do with the
naturalization process. The fact that it happened during the war years would
indicate an interest in being seen as American rather than the previous
nationality. The same rush to the flag happened in Canada; my mother stopped
speaking German when the war started in September 1939.

There are several examples of INS notations in the books that have been done
on passenger arrivals and the citizenship process.

Marian L. Smith said in an article in a 1996 issue of Avotaynu: "Most
after-arrival annotations stem from three categories of activity. One is
reentry, an INS term for the readmission of aliens previously admitted for
permanent residence; another is certification of arrival, a step in the
naturalization process designed to prevent fraud. Last is a routine activity
called verification of arrival that was and is generally the first step in
handling immigrant cases that rnage from provision of benefits to the
prosecution of legal violations."

Do you have the naturalization documents for this person?

Dave Obee