[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Occupation Descriptions

Otto otto at schienke.com
Mon Apr 12 09:06:34 PDT 2004

"Lossmann" undoubtedly is not a reference to 'looseman' but more so to
a "Lot man," one having something to do with the drawing of lots... eg.
military or lottery.  . . . Providing it is the original spelling of
the name.

In Poland today, two males and three females still bear the name
"Lossman.
1m.+1f. in the Olszytn area -(OstPreussen)
1m.+2f. in the Warsawa area -Mazowiekie

On Apr 12, 2004, at 11:13 AM, Peter Fischer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am curious as to what the occupation of "lossmann" may be.  This
> occupation
> is for a ancestor of mine that I know was a waterman, working on the
> lakes in
> the Masurian area of East Prussia.
>
> Translated it means "loose man", but I'm sure that's not correct.  Can
> anyone
> tell me what it means in the context of 1850 East Prussia?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter Fischer

Richard O. Schienke
...  Otto

                     " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 11, 2004-