[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Occupation Descriptions

Sig Matt sig.matt at juno.com
Mon Apr 12 13:05:27 PDT 2004

        Beginning with Peter's description of  "lossmann" (watermann on
the
Masurian Lakes),
that leads to Margrit's correct conclusion that "Lotse" or "Lotsenmann"
is
a "navigational pilot".

Having made a 1 day boat tour of some of the many Masurian Lakes in 1996,
it is clear to me that an experienced pilot is needed to navigate the
safe, deeper
channels required for larger passenger boats.

PS: It is a very picturesque and beautiful landscape that was "Heimat"
to some of us.
Well worth an extra day if you are traveling in the area.

Siegfried Matt