[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Place of Residence: Tormin

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 12 13:29:02 PDT 2004

At 11:56 AM 12/04/2004 -0600, Gerald & Kathy wrote:
>This is my first posting.  In Canada, our last name is Ergang. I have found
>the Hamburg Passenger List stating that my grandfather, Gottlieb "IRGANG" and
>his family departed on the Phoenicia from there on June 23, 1901 bound for
>Boulogne-sur-Mer ; and New York.  They list the Place of Residence as
>"TORMIN".  I cannot find this anywhere.  I believed they were from Pabianice
>and Lodz.  Does anyone have any information on "TORMIN" or what it mean??  I
>am still trying to track down the Passenger List of the Phoenicia's arrival to
>New York on July 6, 1901.  Neither of the 2 spellings of our name comes up on
>the Ellis Island site.

Is the place name obtained from an extraction or the original document?  I
cannot find such a name anywhere in Eastern Europe.  If it is a document,
I'd be happy to look at a scan which you can send me via private email to
see if there is a better read on the writing.

I used the JewishGen / Morse site to do a sounds alike search for Ellis
Island.  Came up with all kinds of Ehrgang, Errgang, etc. (ditto with the
I) but only one entry in 1901 and that is a different name.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca