[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Grandfather Schmidtke

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 26 11:50:20 PDT 2004

At 10:55 AM 24/04/2004 -0400, David & Rose Mary Schmidtke wrote:
>I have some new information that may enable some of you to assist me.  I
>posted the following paragraph some weeks ago and got some help especially on
>locating the village.  Now some additional information.
>My grandfather Julius Schmidtke's father's name was Johann and his mother was
>Mary Burchart and both were reported to be born in Russia.  Julius' birthdate
>is Sept 15, 1865 rather than that posted in the paragrah.

Birth in Russia could still mean Russian Poland as you indicated in your
first message.  I do not see Julius's birth record in the Volhynian
database.  Either it is located in one of the missing sections of data or
he was born elsewhere.

><SNIP>

>The latest information was the marriage location of the Buss' so I am
>wondering how to check on the village of Heimthal to see if it could be close
>to a "Volka" and be the place my grandmother may have been from and where she
>was married and had children before leaving for USA.  I suspect Heimthal is
>the village to which I was directed by Mr. Jerry Frank just west of Kiev.

I believe that I gave you the location of Volka (Wulka) at the same time as
the map location for Heimtal.  It is about 20 km (12 mi) to the north of
Heimtal.

Reference to marriage in Heimtal could mean that the families lived there
but not necessarily.  Heimtal was the Lutheran parish centre.  People would
travel there from the villages to be married.  Only the pastor could
conduct marriages.  If you wanted to be married on a certain date, you
would have to travel to where the pastor was located.  The only other
alternative was wait for the pastor to make the rounds to your village
Bethaus (Prayer Chapel).   Sometimes if the pastor was not available,
people would even travel to a neighbouring parish to be married.

Having said all this, I have done some searching in the St. Pete Database
for Schmidtke, Busse and Meister.  While some are scattered about, I find
in common, the places of Felicianow (also known as Kruchy) and
Johannisdorf.  These places are located about 18 km apart.  BUT, just 10 km
northwesterly of Johannisdorf on the Slucz River is ANOTHER place called
Wolka.  The problem with this analysis is that none of these places are
near Heimtal nor would they have been in the Heimtal parish.  However, this
serves to demonstrate the problem in trying to find a specific village
which has a commonly used name.

Your only real key may be to find the names of siblings of your people in
the hope of finding a birth record for one of them.  Once you have an
actual record rather than just family lore, you can narrow the search.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca