[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] (no subject)

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Tue Apr 27 03:38:56 PDT 2004

Kevin Santo schrieb:

>My name is Verena Sellmer and my parents were from Riga, Latvia. When Germany
>occupied Poland they were given someone's landholding in Poland. My three
>oldest brothers were born on this farm and my father became 'mayor' of the
>town. It was almost impossible to get my parents to talk about this time and
>the only clue I have about the village they were a part of during this time is
>that it's name sounds like Kwal-i-chev. I was born in Canada, after the war
>was over. I do remember that my parents said that the Polish servants helped
>them escape the Soviet advance...I like to think that this was an indication
>that they were not bad people under those horrible circumstances...
>If anyone can help me put their experiences on the map, I would appreciate
>it.

Hello Verena,
there is / was indeed a village called Chwaliszew / Chwalischew 9 km
southeast of Krotoschin / Krotosz}n, before 1918 Prussian district of
Adelnau, Posen Province, from 1939 to 1945 "Reichsgau Wartheland", since
1945 powiat krotoszyqski.

As www.literad.de/geschichte/pos_adelnau.html says, there were the two
partitions Chwalischew I and II, each of them village and manor / estate
with 1027 inhabitants in 1885.

As www.bautz.de/bbkl/p/poelchau_p_h.shtml says, Peter Harald POELCHAU,
German-lutheran bishop of Latvia, came to the "Warthegau" in 1939 either
and died 1945 in the nearby town of Ostrowo.

Guenther
of Hilden, Germany