[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: READING PARISH REORDS

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 28 17:41:50 PDT 2004

It has been awhile since I have looked at those records.  Is it possible
that the headers are in Latin?  That is the case with some German record
books.  Here is a list that may at least be of partial help to
you  http://www.genealogy.com/00000012.html?Welcome=1083198847

The early years' records for Ilow were originally microfilmed by German
archives, not by the LDS.  Their intent at some point was to reprint hard
copies.  To facilitate that, they filmed all the right pages first, then
the left pages.  Of course they never got around to creating hard copies.

Unfortunately there is no easy way around this problem.  You have to muddle
through them to find the matching information that may cross over from the
left to the right page.  It will take a lot more time but it is doable.

Other films for Ilow were filmed in Polish archives by the LDS in regular
order of sequential pages.  Though easier to sort through, they are in
Napoleonic paragraph format so may be more difficult to translate.  See
http://sggee.org/TranslationHelps

At 02:20 PM 28/04/2004 -0400, Michael & Maureen McHenry wrote:
>Hi All
>
>I just returned from the local FHC. I viewed some ILOW parish records
>and went with both a German and Polish dictionary and 3 years of high
>school German. This turned out not to be nearly enough. The records were
>baffling. Can anyone give me a primer on how to read these? There seems
>to be very little German on either the right hand or left hand pages.
>Also each year had a series of paragraphs with signatures below as well
>as what appeared  to be columns of baptismal records. I couldn't be sure
>that was what it was since the column headings weren't in German. My
>Polish dictionary didn't give a translation.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca