[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family Tree maker vs Legacy

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 15 10:24:47 PDT 2004

When I saw the notice about the change, I couldn't help but wonder. Why is
Legacy suddenly a better option?

These genealogical suppliers have been saying for years that FTM is
perfection, blah blah blah. And suddenly, it's not worth having -- yet the
only reason they can give has nothing to do with the software itself. Have
they known all along that Legacy was better? Would they have continued
selling FTM if not for the distribution change? That's my guess. Be careful
what you choose to believe about this.

I have a bit of a bias, of course, because I am one of the Luddites who
prefers PAF -- it's free, does everything I want, and exporting to my Palm
is quick and easy. (And yes, I have a copy of FTM, but it's only to make it
easier to accept files from other genealogists.)

I also have a problem with genealogical suppliers who are happy to sell
garbage to fellow genealogists, but that's another issue.

Dave Obee