[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Parent name omitted

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Mon Aug 23 07:55:55 PDT 2004

    In the Lodz Trinity records, (1828-  ) the names of the bride or groom's deceased parents are always recorded as well as the deceased father's occupation.  The only time the parents are not named is in the re-marriage of a widower or a widow.

John Marsch
-----------------------------

  Interesting possibility Rose. I am very familiar now with the way the pastor at Lublin wrote birth and wedding records. He normally stated the names of deceased parents. So when I see the parents completely missing from the bride in this one record, I come away with the impression the bride's parents were not known. She was married far away from where she was born so her "biological family" was probably not known by the other early settlers in this town who were among the first Germans in this region of Poland.

  What you bring up is an interesting thought that different parishes could have treated special cases differently. Having looked at lots of wedding records from Lublin, I can only make assumptions based on what I have seen at that parish. The story could be different in another parish though.

  Rose Ingram <roseingram at shaw.ca> wrote:
  Karl,

  Perhaps the pastor did not think it necessary to record the name of deceased
  persons on a marriage record. I've seen this several times.

  My guess would be parents of the groom were deceased. Same thing with Anna
  Wiese marriage to Michael Hinz - mother was deceased.

  If you still have this film, look for deaths before January 1844.

  Rose Ingram