[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Deaths

DAVID B OBEE daveobee at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 24 16:35:10 PDT 2004

I did a lengthy piece for the 2003 FEEFHS Journal on a sudden calamity in the town of Albrechtsdorf, Ostpreussen, as recorded in the parish registers.

Based on my research in Albrechtsdorf, I think it makes the most sense to consider all three vital registers when considering what might have happened in one. In other words, check marriages and births as well. In Albrechtsdorf, there was a sudden spike in the death rate, and nine months later the birth rate plummetted. Marriages were relatively stable.

It also pays to consider what happened in neighbouring parishes. See if they had similar sudden changes in birth and death rates. Maybe, just maybe, some of the other parishes will record the causes of death. (I had that in Albrechtsdorf, which made the research much easier.) In my case, I found that Landsberg and Pr. Eylau parishes had similar spikes.

Finally, consider any historical works that cover that area and that time period. There might be clues there. Start by checki
ng them for the words "pest" or "krieg."

Dave Obee