[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: PiotrkowTrybunalski(Petrikau Poland)

William Remus remus at cba.hawaii.edu
Tue Aug 24 15:36:34 PDT 2004

May I be a bit more optimistic than Howard in finding family records
in this area of Poland than in his reply below. In the case of my
family, the oral record said "near Piotkow" and I so waited for many
years knowing that the records at Piotkow were not available. It
turned out they lived in the German Colony associated with
Stanislowow Studinski near Piotkow but actually nearer Rawa.
Further I assumed that even then I could not find them since the
Lutheran records no longer exist...

But

In such villages, even Lutherans attended Catholic Churches for
important events like baptisms and marriages so the marriage of
Christian Hoffman and Rosina Kurowski is recorded in those
church books as were the baptism of their first children. Then they
left for Volhynia in 1833. The records are on LDS microfilm for
Czerniewiec Parish - the parish where Stanislowow was located.
And there are Christian and Rosina's brothers and sisters too.

However I initially thought Rosina Kurowski must have been an
unknown first wife since his known wife in Volhynia was Rosina
Hahn. But (Hahn=hen in German) and (Kura=hen in Polish with a
Polanizing owski for good measure) so the mystery was solved -
one wife with two names.

Next, where did Christain Hoffmann and Rosina Hahn come from
since they seemed to have mysteriously arrived in Stanislowow.
The Catholic records at Czerniewiec Catholic Church referred to
records at the Rawa courthouse - which now are in the Polish
archives nearest  Stanislowow. (When you moved to a new area,
you had to provide witnesses and documentation to who you were
and where you came from.) There the records said Christian was
from Krolikow in Grudziec Parish and Rosina from Nekla near
Studno. And the parents of both were provided.  And all those
records are on LDS microfilm.

Moral: Dont give up on Piotkow  .....

Regards Bill Remus

For pictures of these villages go to

http://www.cba.hawaii.edu/remus/genes/volhynia/czerniewiec/

> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:55:23 -0600
> From: "Howard Krushel" <krushelh at telus.net>
> Subject: Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Evangelical Records -
> 	PiotrkowTrybunalski(Petrikau Poland)
> To: "Jerry Frank" <FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca>,
> 	<Ger-Poland-Volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org>
>
> Unfortunately, the Inventory does not indicate the type of record, so this
> may well be the alegata, but it might be worthwhile to check on this just in
> case there are B. M. and D. records there that were not microfilmed. The
> Inventory has a list of microfilmed Lutheran records but Piotrkow is not on
> the list.
> Howard Krushel

 William Remus, Professor of Information Technology Management
         2404 Maile Way, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA 96822
        Telephone: 808-956-7608   Fax: 808-956-9889
For Information on and Applications for the CIS Doctoral Program
                  http://www.hawaii.edu/cis
Contact the CIS Graduate Chair Professor Kim at joungim at hawaii.edu
 For Information about Bill Remus and the Courses He Teaches
               http://www.cba.hawaii.edu/remus