[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volk auf dem Weg - Now on line

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 14:58:47 PDT 2004

Gee - it would be wonderful if someone who knows German could take exerpts
from this magazine that might be important to those of us on this listserv.  One
never knows what might be helpful.  I can attest to that.

I do not read (let alone speaka da language) but someone some time ago in
Canada had a subscription, found an obituary, wrote to us saying the obituary had
told in a few words that might just be of help to Gary and I in our research
of the Vogel family.  The obituary told of the many years this Vogel deceased
person had researched his family in Germany and in Poland.  Because of just
that little tibit the one who wrote to us from Canada said I should write and
see what his son has, since an address was listed.  Because I don't know the
language I was hesitant for a bit.  Then decided to write and give what little
info we had on Gary's Vogel grandmother.  Lo and behold, a month later a letter
came from Germany (in German, of course!) and after translation we were told
"we were born under a lucky star".  The deceased Vogel (father of the letter
writer) was the son of  his ancestor whose brother had
left the Gostynin area of Poland in 1860 and gone south, with the family
loosing touch.  The family had no idea that their brother and family had gone into
Volhynia. That long-lost brother was the father of Gary's grandmother!   We
received all the Vogel data as we continued contact with dear Hans Vogel
including their stories of the family, how they got into Poland originally, and what
happened to those who stayed in Poland during WWII and after.  What a gold
mine.  I still keep in touch with Hans and his son (who does know English
thankfully).   I am sure others would love to have such sucess.

Can we in SGGEE find a volunteer or two to monitor the Volk auf dem Weg
website magazine on line and see what might be worth while to translate for SGGEE's
researchers?????

What are the thoughts from some of you.
Virginia Less