Schmaltz in Schwabia (Swabia) was: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] new file

Reiner Kerp mail at reiner-kerp.de
Wed Dec 1 00:52:53 PST 2004

Dear fellow searchers,

I first want to apologize for not answering all the mails on my new
file (and thank you for the compliments):

http://reiner-kerp.de/Heiraten_Sompolno_ev.zip

it4s simply too much ;o)  uff!!!!!

BUT
99% of the content are in the (members-only) databases of the SGGEE and
my data are less of 1% of those stored there. Maybe a few names in a
different reading, as I "standardized" the names.
The Sompolno-SCHMALTZ in my file are obviously from Swabia. So
ascendents of them - like many other families - may have moved from
there to Volhynia.
As I wrote earlier, from the Sompolno records it is a short jump to
Wuerttemberg or Schwaben (Swabia). You can see this, when reading Max
Millers book:

"Die Auswanderung der W|rttemberger nach Westpreu_en und dem Netzegau,
1776-1786"

The original is from 1935 (Wuerttembergische Archivverwaltung Heft 1,
Stuttgart 1935) and it has been published again as a reprint by the
"Verein fuer Familienforschung in Ost- undd Westpreussen" :
Sonderschrift Nr. 22. The "Mormones" have this book in their Family
History Library Catalog. It seems not to be on microfilm, but you may
order the the book to a family-history center.

Comparing the Sompolno-records to Millers book, you can also see, how
the names were changed in the older polish (katholic) churchbooks.
There are too many cases to list them here, but there are e.g. good
reasons, MUTH - MUSZLER - MATZ ..... are "polonizations" of MUTSCHLER
(that name is in Millers book). Similar to IZNER - EISNER (which has
nothing to do with ice, but iron).
It should not be forgotten, that the "Wuertemberger" swabians may be
only about a quarter of the colonists in West(and South-?)prussia and
the Netzegau. Others came from other "german homelands", Switzerland or
France.

cordially,

Reiner